Thursday, July 30, 2009

Off-Broadway, What The Hell Are You Doing?

Last night I was talking with an old friend of mine, and she was telling me about this new show her cousin's in. So I asked "What show is it?"

"Oh, it's awesome! It's I Can Has Cheezburger: The MusicLOL!"

...you don't seriously mean they made a musical out of the lolcats website...do you?

Yes, ladies and gentleman, off-Broadway is digging its self into a deeper hole of epic failure and putting up a show about a kitty in search of a cheeseburger. I'm not kidding, here are some links:
http://icanhascheezburgerthemusiclol.wordpress.com/
http://www.fringenycdata.com/basic_page.php?ltr=I

Now, for all I know this show could be amazing (we'll see August 15th when I go see it). But, based on the synopsis, it just looks silly. And it upsets me because it's silly shows like this that make off and off-off Broadway look silly. Granted, there are some off and off-off Broadway productions that are really decent (i.e. Brown Ambition, the revival of Jaques Brel Is Alive And Well In Paris, Spring Awakening before it became popular, etc). But no one can deny that off-Broadway is slowly dying. Sure, we could blame the film industry for allowing people to see films for cheeper, but that doesn't excuse today's playwrights and directors for writing silly stuff like Lolcats the Musical. I understand that people are desperate to revive the dying horse that is theater, but unoriginal, uncreative shows don't help.



     HOLY SHIT IT'S REAL!!! AAAHHHHH



I'm going to go cry in a corner now...
Blogged with the Flock Browser

1 comment:

Trapeze Swinger said...

...Sweet baby Jesus, what?